If you want to password protect a zip file with 7Zip take a look at the following steps:
- Select the files/folders you want to archive using 7Zip.
- Right click and hover over the 7Zip context menu item until the submenu expands.
- Select the “Add to archive” submenu item.
- In the “Add to Archive” screen that appears, give your archive a name, select your archive format and compression level. Then under encryption type in the password you want, click on Show Password if requred, then press OK for 7Zip to process your files and created your zip file.
- Next 7Zip will compress your files into an archive and add the password.
- The archive will be saved in the same folder as the files you have chosen to archive unless you changed the location in the Archive options screen. If you double click on the archive file you will be confronted with the files you archived. Double clicking on any of the files will cause the password prompt to appear.
That’s all there is to it. You now know how to password protect a zip file with 7Zip.
Can you improve on any of the tips I’ve discussed here? If you can let me know in the comments.