I read tech news and blogs every day. I thought I might share with you my Top 10 tech news sites in no particular order:
My top 10 tech news sites
- Slashdot.org – I have been visiting this site for at least a decade. The site is designed to offer news and expert commentary on the latest technology. They encourage feedback, commentary, and thoughtful debate using their reasonably powerful and filterable comment system which I have used in the past.
- How-To-Geek – I have been visiting this site for around 4 years. The intention of the site owner is “To be the best source of How-To articles anywhere, with content easy enough for beginners but useful enough for geeks as well”.
- TinyHacker – I have been visiting this site for around 4 years. TinyHacker is part of the How-To-Geek family of sites. The purpose of this site focuses on collecting geek-related links.
- The Register – I have been visiting this site for around 3 years. The Register is a leading global online tech publication, most of it’s readers are IT Professionals and it’s content addresses the kinds of things they deal with on a daily basis.
- Reddit.com – I have been visiting Reddit for a little over a year at this point. Primarily the Programming and Technology Subreddits. Reddit is useful because it is a collection of user submitted links to articles. In specific Subreddits you know you will discover links directly related to your subject of interest.
- Hacker News – I have been visiting Hack News for a little over a year .Hacker News is a social news website about computer hacking and start-up companies and differs from other social news sites because you cannot down vote an article you can either up vote it or not vote for it at all. Similar to Facebook and it’s “likes” system.
- Lifehacker – I have been visiting Lifehacker for almost 5 years. Whilst not strictly a tech news site it does contain tips, tricks, and downloads for getting things done. Many of them relating to the IT industry.
- Ars Technica – I have been visiting Ars for around 3 years. Very similar to The Register but containing different news and information. Both sites complement each other.
- BBC Technology – I have been visiting the BBC Technology News site for almost as long as Slashdot. The content on this site can usually found on the other sites previously mentioned. But there are regular updates and segments which aggregate recent news into a digest like offering. I still find it interesting.
- Extreme Tech – I have only been visiting the site for around 6 months or so. They have marketed themselves as “a one-stop-shop for serious technological needs”.
There you have it. That was my Top 10 tech news sites. Which I use on a daily basis. These days I rarely visit these sites through my browser. I tend to use Outlook 2010 to collect their posts via RSS feeds.
Do you visit a site not mentioned here? If you do let everyone know by posting in the comments below.