Here is my carrot cake recipe for you to enjoy. It has been modified from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_carrot_cake_08513
For the carrot cake
450ml/16fl oz sunflower oil
400g/14oz plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
550g/1lb 4oz sugar
5 free-range eggs
½ tsp salt
2½ tsp ground cinnamon
500g/1lb carrots, grated (this takes ages so make sure you get bigger carrots so you don’t have to grate so many)
For the icing
150g/5½oz caster sugar
100g/3½oz butter, softened
- For the carrot cake, preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Grease and line a 26cm/10in springform cake tin. I’d recommend you use baking paper here as my cake stuck to the tin during cooking even though I greased it well.
- Mix everything but the carrots together until well mixed then add the carrots.
- Poor the mixture into the cake tin and place in the centre of the oven for 2 hours or until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for a few minutes then take out of the cake tin and allow to cool completely whilst covered with a tea towel.
- For the icing, I decided to miss out the cream cheese opting instead for a sweeter cake so beat the caster sugar and butter together in a bowl until fluffy. Spread the icing over the top of the (completely cooled) cake (I used my hands).